Flatiron, NYC



The Story
April, 2008. After more than a year after the original planned date for visiting New York, we finally managed to go there (check the NYC - Times Square photo story for more details)...
In our second day in New York we still had a lot of places to visit. The Flatiron Building was one of them. This peculiar building is one of the first skyscrapers ever built and it is more than 100 years old. It was finished in 1902 and it is a landmark in New York City. From this perspective, we can see that it is very thin in the front, clothing iron shaped (hence it's name).
I took some photos of it and moved on to the next spot.

Equipment / Technical Info
Nikon D80
AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED

1/250 second
F/3.5
18 mm
100

Original Photo


Post Processing
This photo rested over 20 months in my hard drive, waiting for it's turn. Well, Christmas day, 2009 was the day.
I had imported this photo into my Lightroom catalog a few days after our arrival from NY, back in 2008. I had tried almost all of my presets in this one, but never got quite satisfied with the result. In this day, I decided to let the presets aside and do it manually from scratch.
First I straighten it and applied the proper crop. Then I increased the Sharpening and reduced 1 stop to the Exposure to darken the sky a bit. This left the photo too dark and brought me to the next step: increase the Fill Light. Then I increased the Blacks, the Clarity and the Contrast; reduced the Exposure another stop and increased the Brightness to compensate. To darken the sky even more, I reduced the Luminance of the Blues to the minimum. Now it was ready for the Black & White conversion. I prefer to do this step in CS4, so I imported the photo there.
In CS4, I've done Auto Levels, Auto Contrast and Auto Colors, and converted to Black & White (Infrared preset). I then added some Vignetting, increased the Contrast and the Brightness and had some noise reduction (the clouds part was a bit noisy). And that was it.
I usually publish my photos with 1024px in the largest size and use a great Photoshop action by Manyk to do the re-size.
You can find it here: http://manyk.deviantart.com/art/Web-Sharpening-with-Photoshop-29038461

Final Photo


Link to image
http://jpgmn.deviantart.com/art/Flatiron-NYC-147974783

0 comentários:

 
Design by BloggerThemes