Navegadores



The Story
June, 2009. In this day my wife felt like going for a walk in Belém (check the Museu de Marinha photo story for more details)...
We started by visiting the Mosteiro dos Jerónimos and then moved on to Padrão dos Descobrimentos. Padrão dos Descobrimentos (Monument to the Discoveries) is a monument that celebrates the Portuguese who took part in the Age of Discovery, or the Age of Exploration, of the 15th and 16th centuries. It is located on the estuary of the Tagus river in the Belém parish of Lisbon, Portugal, where ships departed to their often unknown destinations.
I started trying some angles that could take advantage of the beautiful skies that were that afternoon. First, I tried to get the lines in the pavement to guide the eyes to the monument and from there to the clouds. I took some photos with this perspective and then approached the monument and started exploring uncommon perspectives. As almost all the times I went there, there were a lot of tourists around the monument what make me point upper to crop them off. It was then that I realized this uncommon angle. The clouds appear to be an extension of the monument itself and gives us the idea that the navigators are contemplating (or fearing) them.

Equipment / Technical Info
Nikon D80
Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC

1/160 second
F/9.0
10 mm
100

Original Photo


Post Processing
This one was an almost ready photo as it came out of the camera.
There were two little details to address: that little bit of land in the lower right corner had to go and the colors would need a more cold and contrasted feel.
I imported the photo into Lightroom, cropped the right corner and applied an Auto Tone. It was better, but I needed to bring that sky even more. So I applied the Mike Lao's "300 V1" preset (you can find it here: http://inside-lightroom.com/?page_id=11) and the result was what I was looking for. In CS4 I've simply done: Auto Tone, Auto Contrast, Auto Color and Auto Levels.
I usually publish my photos with 1024px in the largest size and use a great Photoshop action by Manyk to do the re-size.You can find it here: http://manyk.deviantart.com/art/Web-Sharpening-with-Photoshop-29038461
I was quite satisfied with the result, which is a rare thing. :)

Final Photo


Link to image
http://jpgmn.deviantart.com/art/Navegadores-124771032

2 comentários:

Luis Carlos said...

Parabéns pelas fotos,
de á um tempo para cá tenho seguido o teu trabalho e gosto muito do efeito que usas em PS e tambem dos enquadramentos que usas!

Continua a postar fotos (e a explicar-nos como fazes a "manipulação" em PS)

Boas FOTOS!

Anonymous said...

Very impressive! Never thought of how it looked until you pointed it out.

 
Design by BloggerThemes